Freewing F-22 Raptor 90mm EDF Jet - ARF PLUS
F-22 Raptor 90mm EDF Jet from Freewing - ARF PLUS - FJ31311A+
Version Note: This is the ARF+ version for pilots who wish to install their own power system. All primary electronics including servos and landing gear retracts come pre-installed, just add your own power system (EDF, motor, and ESC) to begin flying.
The F-22 Raptor is the world’s first Fifth Generation fighter that delivers cutting edge advances in low observable “stealth” capabilities, enhanced computer-assisted agility, and precision combat capability. The F-22 represents the future of modern air combat, and its technology continues to set the standard against which all other Fifth Generation fighters are judged.
The Freewing F-22 is a flying RC replica of this innovative fighter jet. Boasting both the lowest stall speed and one of the highest top speeds among all of Freewing’s jets, be prepared to fly a wide flight envelope with this visually stunning model aircraft! Freewing’s F-22 is capable of maneuvers most other EDFs can only dream of –our design team considers it a Performer and a Trainer in one. The Freewing F-22 measures 1500mm in length with a wingspan of 1060mm. Assembled from an array of materials including EPO foam, aluminum, carbon fiber, steel, nylon, plastic, and wood, the Freewing F-22 delivers extreme maneuverability and reliable durability on grass runways. The model aircraft features a mixture of sharp panel lines, graduated paintwork, and realistic decals. More than 15 colors of paint and decals combine to represent the subtle but complex surface shades and panels seen on the full-size F-22. The model’s main colors appear to slightly “shift” depending on the light conditions, with metallic, matte, and semi-gloss surfaces working to achieve the subtle effect. This isn’t your average plain gray jet!
Main Assembly is completed primarily with screws to attach the flying surfaces. The full flying horizontal stabilizers’ metal shafts rotate within steel bearings for smooth operation, and their servos along with the aileron and flap servos are housed within plastic trays for easy removal and servicing. As with the recent popular Freewing 80mm L-39, this Freewing 90mm F-22’s cockpit is also lined with thin plastic to resist heat damage to the darker cockpit surfaces. The main wings disconnect conveniently with a flexible ribbon wire cable, which smartly reduces the load exerted on the actual electronic connections. A magnetic nose cone encased in molded plastic with raised surface details can be removed easily to reduce the model’s length during transport to your flying field. Finally, the onboard MFCB supports expansion of up to eight additional LEDs aside from the sequenced landing light.
The Freewing F-22 is simultaneously capable of extreme expert-level maneuvers and sedate trainer-like flying. A widened gear stance and larger-than-scale grass-appropriate wheels greatly improve ground handling on short grass runways. The servo operated nose gear door is also aided by recessed magnets to help hold the doors shut during flight. Even without flaps, the model can takeoff in less than 100 feet! In the flight pattern, the Freewing F-22 truly shines. It is highly maneuverable and very difficult to stall, and can be flown at high angles of attack including high-alpha, and wild maneuvers including Cobra, inverted Immelmans, etc. Overall, our design team developed the Freewing F-22 to be able to fly a similar pattern to that flown by the real F-22 in its popular air show demonstration routine. Despite its extreme capabilities in the hands of expert RC pilots, the Freewing F-22 can also be cruised comfortably at 40%-50% throttle for stable flying as a 90mm Jet Trainer for RC pilots moving up from the 70mm-80mm Jet sizes. In the landing pattern, flaps are not required to slow the model to a long and level descent. If flaps are used, please see the manual for appropriate mixing.
The Freewing F-22 is available in two PNP versions or ARF+. The Standard PNP version features a 90mm EDF with an all-new 9 blade single piece impeller, factory balanced for precise operation, paired with a 3748-1750kV outrunner brushless motor and 130A ESC. The Deluxe 8S version features a 90mm 12 blade impeller, also molded as a single unit and factory balanced, mounted to a powerful 4075-1390kV inrunner brushless motor and 150A ESC. The F-22’s maximum level airspeed has been measured at 170KPH / 106MPH and 190KPH / 119MPH between the Standard and Deluxe versions, respectively.
Expanding the customization possibilities with your model, Motion RC also provides free downloads of 3D Printable files for a complete 3DPUP Cockpit Set, Ejection Seat, Static Display AIM-9, and Static Display Intake/Exhaust Covers. These 3DPUP files in .STL format are optimized for printing on common FDM-type printers and require very minimal assembly. For an additional challenge, a Canopy Frame Set is also available for modelers who want to experiment with a fabricating their own servo-driven opening canopy function.
Overall, the Freewing 90mm F-22 is a very approachable flyer and suitable for pilots moving up to their first 90mm jet from a 70mm or 80mm jet. For pilots already familiar with the handling of a 90mm jet, this F-22 offers the potential to master an expanded set of realistic maneuvers.
Put stealth aside –stand out and be seen ruling the skies with your Raptor today!
Visit the Official Freewing 90mm F-22 Raptor Discussion Thread on HobbySquawk.com for additional photos, videos, reviews, and customer Q&A.
- Model officially licensed by Lockheed Martin
- Exceptional low speed stability and high speed agility
- Realistic Scale Maneuver capability includes Cobra, Mongo Flip, J-Turn, Descending Spiral, Hover, etc
- Efficient, balanced, powerful 12-Blade EDF power system with coveted realistic "woosh" jet sound
- Has the lowest stall speed and one of the highest top speeds among all of Freewing’s jets
- Large battery bay to easily fit either 6S or 8S battery (for appropriate 6S or 8S Power System)
- Materials include EPO foam, aluminum, carbon fiber, steel, nylon, plastic, and wood for maximum durability
- Features a mixture of sharp panel lines, graduated paintwork, and realistic decals for maximum realism
- MultiShade™ livery incorporating paint and decals with over 12 different colors and subtle shading in metallic, satin, and matte finishes
- Servos are housed within plastic trays for easy removal and servicing
- Cockpit is lined with thin plastic to resist heat damage
- Grass-capable suspension landing gear and sequenced nose gear doors with magnet assist
- Free downloadable 3DPUP Sets including Cockpit Set and Static Display Weapons Bay Set (see the Support Tab for download details)
- Main wings disconnect conveniently with a flexible ribbon wire cable, which smartly reduces the load exerted on the actual electronic connections
- Magnetic nose cone encased in molded plastic with raised surface details can be removed easily to reduce the model’s length during transport to your flying field
- MFCB for wire organization and future expansion-potential with LEDs and optional accessories
- Widened gear stance and larger-than-scale grass-appropriate wheels greatly improve ground handling on short grass runways
- Ball Bearing-supported horizontal stabilators
- Screw-assembly for all flying surfaces
- Capable of Expert-level maneuvers as well as smooth, stable slow flight for less-experienced jet flyers
- Freewing F-22 Raptor 90mm EDF Jet - ARF PLUS
- Electronic retractable landing gear (installed)
- Servos, LED Lights (installed)
- Brushless motor, EDF unit and ESC (see specifications for details)
- 6 Channel radio - select a minimum 6 channel radio from our Radio Collection
- 6 Channel receiver - select a minimum 6 channel receiver from our Receiver Collection
- 6 Cell 22.2V 5000 mAh LiPo battery with EC5 connector - we recommend the Admiral 6 Cell 5000 mAh LiPo with EC5 connector
- 6 Cell compatible battery charger - select a minimum 6 cell (6S) charger from our Charger Collection
1 : 13 Scale
1060mm / 41.73in
2960g / 104.41oz (w/o battery)
CG (Center of Gravity)
150mm (5.9") from the leading edge of the wing at the root
8S 4075-1390kV Outrunner Brushless Motor
Electronic Speed Control
150A, EC5 Connector
Propeller / EDF
90mm 12-Blade EDF
9g metal gear digital standard with 500mm lead : nose gear door
Electronic retractable main gear and steerable nose gear with all metal shock absorbing struts
6S 22.2V 5000mAh LiPo with EC5 connector (required)
6 Channel (required)
|Outdoor, 150+ foot paved runway or short manicured grass|
Product Spare Parts
Product Questions & AnswersNOTE: Questions submitted on this page are answered by customers who have previously purchased this item. If you have a support related question that requires immediate assistance, please visit our Help Center.
- January 11, 2019 - These are the 3DPup files for the main gear outer door. You can download the ZIP file directly at this link.
- November 6, 2018 - For modelers with access to a 3D Printer or who want to use a third party 3D printing service, we are offering the original .STL files for free download. Modelers are responsible for preparing the file for their own printer’s specifications. These downloadable files are ideal for modelers who enjoy tinkering with printer settings and materials. Please note, we only provide the .STL files themselves; we cannot provide tech support for your specific printer. By downloading the .STL files, you agree to not monetize the file in any way without Motion RC’s express written consent. If you have your own 3D printer, or have access to one, you can download the STL files directly at this link.
If you need any additional assistance, please visit the Motion RC Help Center
Good performer with some minor issues
The jet performs well on 6S, looks very cool in the air but for some reason, it's not the funnest FW jet I fly. The jet is one of the more tippy ones from FW, not happy with wing tip wear. Also, the front retract socket was not glued very well, became sloppy, and made the tipping problem worse resulting in more wingtip wear. Needless to say, this is a very expensive repair. I won't pay for it (I'll live with the dings) so it falls down on my list of satisfying jets. It's also rather minimalist for the price. The 90mm Goshawk, as well as the twin F-14, were mind blowing when released. The Raptor although beautifully made (with this exception of some out of box gatoring on the top right wing) didn't wow me as much, kind of boring. SU-35 is a blast!
F-22 90 mm ARF Plus
I purchased the ARF and installed a JP 8S fan and ECS. Very pleased with jet, assembly, and performance. Would recommend to anyone interested in this type of jet.
Best plane ever hope freewing upgrades the F18 super hornet
Best looking not my most fun edf
I really wanted the F-22 to be my favorite plane. I have been waiting for years for a company to do a 90mm large scale of the F-22. The plane is very well put together and has very robust landing gear and just looks freaking cool. It is very quick and efficient with its use of power. It comes down to being too easy to fly. It is like flying on a nice cushy cloud. The controls are accurate and have a natural dampening feeling to it. Doesn't like crosswind landing. The pivoting main landing gear allows for the plane to tip easy. You have to be pretty good at you rudder control. After setting up the control surfaces even, the stalls are just beautiful. It drops the nose with no tip stall. Landings with full flaps is almost like it has auto pilot. Very little involvement by me. This is all great and is a great plane for speed, looks and ease of flight and I wish I had this as my first large EDF. Although, I have more fun with my Sukohi twin edf.
Superb Quality ARF PLUS
Unfortunately I needed to purchase this ARF PLUS because my 6S PNP met a gruesome and untimely death that may or may not have involved a light pole. Ahem. So I removed the power system from the carcass and ordered this ARF PLUS to put it in. Just like the 6S it came perfectly boxed and in excellent condition. Put the power system in and using the pre-existing settings from the 6S on my radio she was quickly calibrated and ready for her maiden. Like a Phoenix she rose from the proverbial ashes and maidened like a champ. Not one click of trim was needed. I have flown it a few times since and it is just a wonderful jet in every way. Very pleased!
Fantastic customer service, thanks
Flies and lands like a dream
Beautiful airplane, Very easy to assemble. Looks good on the runway and in the heavens. Big enough to see and small enough to fit into a Dodge van.
Great flying model; questionable value for money; poor quality servos
Let me start by saying that the F-22 is probably the best of the 90mm lineup, it flies amazingly and have a very wide envelope. The good: This model is very easy to fly, it holds high alpha like no other 90mm Freewing EDF and perform maneuvers that makes one question where the **** FW hide the trust vectoring. It flew straight out of the box (no trim needed). No bad habits. The foam is of high quality; nice details and paintjob. The Bad: The value for bucks for this model is questionable; it does not have the feature expected for this price range (like nav lights, fully enclosed main gear, airbrake, etc.). One of the main retracts was malfunctioning (MRC sent me a new one as soon as I reported it). The included servos are just bad; they won’t center well and does not move in the same rate. I ended up changing all the control surfaces servos to a premium brand digital servo (I should have changed the steering servo as well…). The ****: After two successful and enjoyable flights, I prepared for my third one; I lined up on the runway with my two buddies for a formation flight, started my takeoff run, accelerated to near rotation speed when suddenly the plane took a sharp left turn, made a ground roll and crashed into one of the safety-line poles resulting in a destroyed wing and fuselage. When examine the wreckage, I noticed that the steering servo was locked all the way to the left...
Excellent jet, good FW quality with exceptional flight characteristics.