FlightLine P-38L Lightning "Pacific Silver" 1600mm (63") Wingspan - PNP
FlightLine P-38L Lightning "Pacific Silver" 1600mm (63") Wingspan - PNP - FLW3011P
SALE INTO SUMMER WITH FLIGHTLINE!*Sale will run while supplies last.
The legendary P-38 “Lightning” revolutionized aviation history in World War II. Designed by a skilled team of engineers led by Clarence Johnson and Hal Hibbard, the P-38 was the only American fighter that was continually produced from before Pearl Harbor in 1941 to after the Japanese surrender in 1945. Over 9,900 P-38s were built, 3,810 of which were the superior P-38L variant. Revered by its foes as the “fork tailed devil”, the P-38 excelled as a fighter, interceptor, reconnaissance platform, long range escort, and as a ground attack aircraft. The aircraft also famously shot down Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto’s aircraft during “Operation Vengeance” on April 18, 1943.
FlightLine’s P-38 represents the pinnacle of engineering for a foam electric P-38. It is the largest mass-produced foam electric P-38 in the world, with a high level of quality and scale fidelity. We know our customers have been waiting for a large P-38 with good size, clean wiring, and scale lines. The wait is over, it’s here!
The Flightline P-38 was designed for easy operation. Its outer wings disassemble with four screws for convenient transportation and allowing the aircraft to sit on all three wheels without the outer wings attached. FlightLine’s P-38 Lightning features durable electronic retractable landing gear, five sequenced servo driven landing gear doors, day-bright LEDs, machine gun details, plastic nose cone and cowls, four flaps, accurate canopy and nacelle shape, and many other scale details. Each rudder is directly controlled by its own servo. The cockpit layout accommodates a wide range of 4S 14.8v Li-Po batteries with ample space for electronics. To ensure a high degree of structural rigidity, the entire model was designed around a special framework of carbon rods and reinforcement points. This framework strengthens the aircraft during high speed maneuvers, while still providing a gentle and forgiving flying behavior.
The stock PNP version is equipped with two 3748 brushless outrunner motors and two 12x7 3-blade counter-rotating propellers for the perfect scale appearance. With the recommended 4S 14.8v 5000mAh (one battery per side or a single battery with your series adapter), the P-38 boasts sufficient power for large consecutive loops and a level top speed of 81mph. An optional “Upgrade Kit” can be purchased separately to obtain a level top speed of 94mph; click the Upgrades tab above.
The “Pacific Silver” scheme includes four decal sets from the 431st Squadron led by Medal of Honor recipient Thomas McGuire. Choose which decal set you want to apply to make your P-38 unique among your friends! The decals are "peel and stick", made with a very thin adhesive vinyl which is easy to apply and does not require water.
Visit the Official FlightLine P-38 Discussion Thread on HobbySquawk.com for additional photos, videos, reviews, and customer Q&A.
- Model officially licensed by Lockheed Martin
- Scale profile, accurate wing diherdral, and precisely modeled overall aircraft proportions
- Removable outer wings for easy transport
- Scale three blade propeller achieves 81 mph and vertical climbing capability
- Four different decal sets included inside the box for you to choose from
- Day-bright LEDs
- Large cabin space for easy placement of the battery and radio equipment
- Improved spinner and propeller mounting design to enable better balance
- Durable Electric retractable landing gear with metal trunions and 4mm steel wire struts
- Sequenced plastic gear doors for realistic operation
- Tall foam rubber wheels for optimal handling on paved surfaces and short, evenly cut grass fields
- FlightLine P-38L Lightning "Pacific Silver" 1600mm (63") Wingspan - (PNP)
- Motor, ESC, servos and retracts pre-installed
- 6 Channel Radio - Select a minimum 6 channel radio from our Radio Collection
- 6 Channel Receiver - Select a minimum 6 channel receiver from our Receiver Collection
- Two 4 Cell 14.8V 2500mAh to 3000mAh LiPo batteries with XT60 Connector – We recommend 2 of the Admiral 4 Cell 14.8V 2500mAh Pro LiPo batteries
- OR One Admiral 4 Cell 14.8v 5000mAh battery with XT60 connector (NOTE: will require an EC5-to-two-XT60-connector adapter)
- 4 Cell Compatible Battery Charger - Select a minimum 4 cell (4S) charger from our Charger Collection
- An optional “High Power Upgrade Set” can be purchased separately to obtain speeds of 94mph+. The Upgrade Set includes two 3648 motors, two 12x8 2-blade counter-rotating propellers, and two 2-blade spinners. Click the Upgrades Tab above for more details.
1600mm / 63in
1168mm / 46in
Weight (w/o battery)
3150g / 111oz
|CG (Center of Gravity)||65-70mm from the leading edge of the wing at the root|
3748-600Kv Brushless Outrunner Motor (Stock scale power system)
Electronic Speed Control
60A Brushless with XT60 connector
Propeller / EDF
12x7 3 Blade Propeller / 12x8 2 Blade Propeller High Performance Version (optional)
9g standard with 300mm lead: nose gear door
|Landing Gear||Electric retracts with metal trunions|
Two 4 Cell 14.8v 2500mAh to 3000mAh batteries with XT60 connector, or One 4 Cell 14.8v 5000mAh battery with XT60 connector (will require an EC5-to-two-XT60-connector adapter)
6+ Channel 2.4GHz
Nylon and foam hinges
|Build Time||3-4 Hours|
|Recommended Environment||Outdoor, minimum 200 foot runway, pavement recommended, less than 1" tall smooth grass|
Product Spare Parts
Product Questions & AnswersNOTE: Questions submitted on this page are answered by customers who have previously purchased this item. If you have a support related question that requires immediate assistance, please visit our Help Center.
- Feb 6, 2017 - There has been some confusion in the forums regarding the twin ESC wiring setup for this model. Extensive testing has been done in direct partnership with the ESC manufacturer, culminating in hundreds of successful flights without the need for removing any of the power (red) wires from one of the ESCs BEC. Both ESCs Y-harnessed together are plugged into the receiver's single throttle channel without the need for ANY red wires being removed.
If you need any additional assistance, please visit the Motion RC Help Center
Great flying P-38
I was very much surprised at the quality and finish of this foam P-38. I set it up using the Admiral 4s 3000 and balanced as shown on the setup sheet. It’s very stable unless you want to burn holes in the sky. It gives plenty of warning before it stalls. At half throttle I get 8 and a half minutes of flight and the batteries still have 48-52% left. It’s a great plane
I have three FlightLine Silvers, imax charger DX6 radio, AR6600T receiver, Batt Box and Admiral 3000 batts and more from Motion RC, (will need more items shortly), VERY GOOD MODELS. I'm still training with Carbon Cub and Apprentice, Hope to fly a Lightning about September.
Das macht Spaß
Super Warbird! Nach der Spitfire (1,6 m) ist die P 38 mein zweites Modell von Freewing. Ich bin wiederum total begeistert. Der Erstflug verlief absolut problemlos. Auch die Landung macht trotz der hohen Flächenbelastung von ca. 120 g/qdm überhaupt keine Probleme. Mit gesetzten Klappen und leichter Trimmung auf Tief nicht zu hoch an den Platz herumfliegen- Gas langsam raus und ausschweben lassen der Rest geht von alleine - ohne jeden Hüpfer. Auch die Montage gelingt ohne Probleme. Die einzige Mühsal besteht im Anbringen der unzähligen Wasserschiebebilder, aber auch das geht vorbei. Einfach nur ein tolles Modell.
Good product and customer service
P 38 L silver lightning
very nice product. nice scale detailing. Electronic package seems up to the job. liked the decal options , nice clean control surface hinges, pretty scale, happy with the stock wheels. wing loading seems reasonable.
I think the kit is very good. My only problem is Lack of knowlage. My first flight ended in a almost totaled plane. I balanced the plane with the gear down, big mistake. It flew great with the gear down, but after retracting the gear I pulled up to gain altitude and whent into an un recoverable tail heavy snap roll. After a total rebuild I checked the balance and it goes tail heavy with the gear up. So now rebalanced. I looked in the instructions and could find nothing about this only cg position. I have been flying rc since the late 60,s but have had only retracts that are almost on the cg not folding backwards. So after all these years still something new to learn. I would hope they put this knowalge in future kits with folding backwards gear. Now to fly it again when we get a good day.
Great plane and great service
P38 Pacific version
I found the model easy to put together. The leads could have been a litlle longer as they cannot quite reach the cockpit area which required the special syncro box to be placed low down in the access area and could not be fixed into position which I believe it should be. The C/G position given appears to be too far forward as I managed to fly the model with it over 5mm further aft with no problem at all. I use two 3000mah batteries which gave a reasonable flight time of 6 mins. Overall I am very pleased with the model and would recommend it to anyone who is a good flier as it does come in to land fairly quick even with flaps full down and no wind. A 10-15 kph head wind makes the landings much slower and easier to handle. I may go for the sprung undercarriage at a later date as this might help with a bumpy landing and put less strain on the mountings. I would have given a very good to all the following question had more thought gone into the wiring. Flying is very good and does all the aerobatics I am capable of, even knife edge is possible with loads of opposite aileron held in.
FlightLine RC P-38L Lightning "Pacific Silver" 1600mm (63") Wingspan - PNP