FMS Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien ("Tony") High Speed 995mm (40") Wingspan - PNP
FMS Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien ("Tony") High Speed 995mm (40") Wingspan - PNP - FMS076
The 980mm Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien ("Tony") PNP is another fantastic warbird from FMS, delivering a rarely modeled aircraft in an affordable and exhilirating package. We've flown over 150 flights on the prototype and have come to love its power, agility, and stability throughout a wide speed range. The Hien reminds us of FMS' larger 1400mm Zero in its predictable handling. But the Hien is NOT a Zero! It is a unique looking and a fun flying aircraft in its own right, and a worthy addition to any pilot's fleet.
We've had great fun chasing around the many Corsairs, P-40s, and P-51s at our flying field. "What's that?!?" is a common question as the Hien goes zooming by. 80mph in level flight, with dives to 90+, are just part of the fun. If you are not a speed guy, you will enjoy the Hien's slow flight capabilities at 40-50% throttle on an Admiral 4s 2200mAh, with nearly unlimited vertical at full throttle and lots of thrust to accelerate out of sticky situations. Alternatively, an Admiral 3s 2200mAh or 2600mAh battery can also be used for slower flight. Flying an average mixed flight routine gives 5-6 minutes on the Admiral 4s 2200mAh battery, with energy to spare.
This beautiful Hien continues FMS' 980mm warbird lineup in style, and is manufactured using lightweight but highly durable EPO foam. Like the other aircraft in this series, the Hien arrives with six digital metal gear servos already installed. Ball link connectors are attached with countersunk screws, replacing the traditional glued on clevis for a more positive link to control surfaces. Two composite spars are used in the one piece wing for added strength when making those “High Speed” passes over your flying site. The proven 770kv motor is attached to a 3 blade prop and 60A ESC providing efficient power with adequate headroom.
The Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien ("flying swallow") was a Japanese World War II fighter aircraft used by the Imperial Japanese Army Air Force. The first encounter reports claimed Ki-61s were Messerschmitt Bf 109s: further reports claimed that the new aircraft was an Italian design, which led to the Allied reporting name of "Tony", assigned by the United States War Department. The Japanese Army designation was "Army Type 3 Fighter". It was the only mass-produced Japanese fighter of the war to use a liquid-cooled inline V engine. Over 3,000 Ki-61s were produced. Initial prototypes saw action over Yokohama during the Halsey-Doolittle Raid on April 18th 1942, and continued to fly combat missions throughout the war. FMS has modeled the aircraft flown by Major Teruhiko Kobayashi, one of the most prominent pilots of the 244th Sentai fighter regiment operating out of Chofu Airfield. Major Kobayashi commanded the 244 Sentai from late 1944 to the end of the war in 1945. Own a flying replica of aviation history!
Tech Note: The original manual is incorrect when referencing the callout for incorrect screws. We have added the updated manual with the correct screw callouts for your convenience. Please click the Support tab above to download the updated manual.
- This High Speed version is equipped with a 770Kv motor and 60Amp ESC to handle 4S batteries to achieve 80 mph in level flight
- Super scale appearance including hand-painted pilot, 3-blade prop, authentic graphics and removable wing tanks
- Newly designed ball link control hardware replaces traditional clevises
- Quick assembly using included screwdriver
- Manufactured from durable EPO foam
- One piece, easily removable wing
- Full length carbon fiber reinforced wing for sturdy durability
- Plastic moulded details including air scoop, oil cooler, machine guns, strut covers, antenna mast and pitot tube
- FMS 980mm (38.6") Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien ("Tony") High Speed - Plug N Play (PNP)
- Digital Metal Gear servos on ailerons, elevator and rudder, slow servos on Flaps
- Strong and robust e-retracts with metal trunnions for long service life
- 6 Channel Radio - Click Here for recommendations
- 6 Channel Receiver - Click Here for recommendations
4 Cell 14.8V 2200 mAh PRO Lipo Battery for best fit and CG - ADM22004PRO
- Lipo Battery Charger - Click Here for recommendations
995mm / 39.7in
742mm / 29.21in
|CG (Center of Gravity)||55-60mm from the leading edge|
|Brushless 3648-770Kv (installed)|
Electronic Speed Control
60A with 5A SBEC (installed)
Propeller / EDF
10.5 x 7 3-Blade
9g digital metal gear Servo x 4 (ailerons, elevator, rudder), 9g digital nylon gear servo X2 (flaps) - all pre-installed
|Landing Gear||E-retracts with metal trunnions (installed)|
14.8V 4S 2200mAh 35C+ Li-Po (required)
Minimum 6 Channel full range Radio (required)
|Build Time||30 minutes|
Product Spare Parts