Freewing F-104 Starfighter Yellow 90mm EDF Jet - ARF PLUS
Freewing F-104 Starfighter Yellow 90mm EDF Jet - ARF PLUS - FJ31021AP
Version Info: This is the ARF+ version for pilots who wish to install their own power system. All primary electronics including servos and landing gear come pre-installed, just add your own power system (EDF, motor, and ESC) to begin flying.
Following up on their popular 70mm variant, Freewing has answered the many customer calls to scale up their F-104 Starfighter and give it the full "90mm Super Scale" treatment. Own a bigger piece of aviation history with this sleek and storied interceptor, the "Missile With a Man In It”!
The Freewing 90mm F-104 boasts a host of features that until recently were unimaginable in the foam electric market for this price point such as scale operating landing gear CNC machined from durable 6061 aluminum with steel axles, completely removable flying surfaces, pre-installed gyro flight stabilizer, functional speed brakes, and a pre-installed LED afterburner ring. Additional features include sequenced landing gear doors, an integrated circuit board to simplify wiring, LED formation lights, magnetic nose cone, removable tip tanks, and plastic details including a molded tail cone. The model also introduces an innovative mechanism built into the speed brake that both operates outwards as a speed brake and collapses inward as a spring-loaded cheater vent.
Intended as a "Scale Plus" flyer, the Freewing F104 Starfighter excels in scale maneuvers, stable flat passes, fast rolls, and tall loops. It looks like a rocket sprinting upwards toward the sun! The F-104 has a predictable glideslope, and its landing attitude will be familiar to those who have flown the Freewing F-16. Both of these aircraft share the same main landing gear, so the lateral stability feels very similar. We recommend reducing the steering servo throw to ~50% to reduce the risk of tipping.
A first for MotionRC, we are also offering the Freewing 90mm F-104 Starfighter with a pre-installed Freewing E51 Gyro at zero additional cost from the other Super Scale Series jets from Freewing. The Freewing E51 Gyro stabilizes the flight handling of the aircraft in all three axes, contributing to a more accessible control experience. The Gyro is pre-installed and the gains can be adjusted separately for the Aileron, Elevator, and Rudder channels. A remote On/Off function requires an additional channel on your receiver, and is recommended for initial flights until the Gyro is adjusted to each pilot's personal preference for sensitivity and authority.
The Freewing 90mm F-104 Starfighter is quite a surprise at the flying field because it flies much more stable than it appears it can. Onlookers will swear that it cannot fly slowly due to the F-104’s iconic stubby wings, but in fact Freewing has optimized their RC rendition to handle gently at a wide flight envelope while remaining as true to scale appearance as possible.The Freewing F-104 cruises at 50% throttle and we measured an average top speed of 92mph in level flight after a slight dive. With mixed throttle, an Admiral 6s 5000 mAh 50c battery gives 3-4 minutes of flight, like other Freewing 90mm jets. With its scale landing gear, iconic profile, and other details, the Freewing 90mm F-104 Starfighter will be standout in your hangar and at your flying field!
- The world's largest foam electric ducted fan model of the F-104 Starfighter
- Electric retracts with scale, shock-absorbing struts and main operation, CNC'd from 6061 aluminum and suitable for pavement or short grass
- Sequenced gear doors provide added realism and reduced drag
- Removable wings, stabilators, and nose cone for easy transport and compact storage
- Machine screws and brass threaded inserts are used to attach the wings for a secure fit and longevity
- Gap-less hinges on all flight surfaces for scale appearance
- Bright LED navigation lights for enhanced realism and dawn/dusk maneuvers
- Pre-installed LED afterburner
- Speed brakes (Requires 9th Channel)
- Carbon fiber wing spars and reinforced body parts
- Upgraded pushrod clevis and metal ball head connectors on elevators provide a robust connection between servo and control surface and eliminate "play"
- Nylon hinges on all control surfaces (superior to foam hinges)
- 95% glue together assembly (Only one fuselage joint requires epoxy)
- Freewing F-104 Starfighter Yellow 90mm EDF Jet - ARF PLUS
- Brushless motor, EDF unit and ESC (see specifications for details)
- Minimum 8-9 Channel Radio - Click Here for recommendations
- 8-9 Channel Receiver - Click Here for recommendations (Aileron, Elevator, Throttle, Rudder, Gear, Flaps, Gyro on/off, Air Brakes)
- 6 Cell 22.2V 5000 mAh 50c Lipo Battery with EC5 Connector - EPR50006
Tech Note: Please check to make sure that all control horns are securely glued into the foam wing and stabilizer surfaces before flying the aircraft. If any control horn is loose, apply extra glue to ensure the control horn has a strong bond to the foam.
755mm / 29.73in
1720mm / 67.71n
3550g / 125.22oz
|CG (Center of Gravity)||78mm from the leading edge of the wing at the root|
3748-1550kV Brushless Outrunner Motor with 3150g thrust (PNP only)
Electronic Speed Control
130A ESC, 8A UBEC, EC5 Connector (PNP only)
Propeller / EDF
90mm Metal Housing EDF with 12 Blade Fan (PNP only)
9g metal gear standard with 300mm lead : left main gear door
|Landing Gear||CNC electric retracts with scale, shock-absorbing struts and main operation|
6S 22.2V 5000mAh 50C LiPo with EC5 connector (not included)
Minimum 7 Channel (required)
|Build Time||2 Hours|
Product Spare Parts