Freewing F/A-18C Hornet "Base Gray" 90mm EDF Jet - PNP
F/A-18C Hornet "Base Gray" with 9-Blade 90mm EDF Jet from Freewing - PNP - FJ31421P
Over ten years ago, Freewing began developing their first American 90mm EDF, the F/A-18E Super Hornet. Made of EPS foam and sporting a plastic five blade fan, that model was one of the first 90mm PNPs to demonstrate Freewing’s dreams, and it set the stage for their evolution. Having partnered with us at Motion RC for the past seven years, we’ve all been humbly privileged to expand the Foam EDF Jet’s place in the RC hobby and earn the business of customers worldwide. Thank you for your continued feedback, excitement, and trust!
To celebrate Freewing’s Eleventh anniversary, we are proud to announce an all-new 90mm F/A-18C Hornet, complete with all the latest features common to modern era EDFs in our Super Scale series. Be sure to save a summer slot for the Freewing F/A-18C, the quintessential 90mm Hornet on the planet!
Visit the Official Freewing 90mm F/A-18C Hornet Discussion Thread on HobbySquawk.com for additional photos, videos, reviews, and customer Q&A.
- This is not a V3, but a completely new design/variant from the ground-up
- F/A-18C “Legacy”, the world’s first C variant 90mm PNP
- Efficient and powerful 90mm 9-Blade EDF
- 6S 5000-6000mAh lipo can easily achieve 4-5+ minutes of managed flight time (see our video in the video tab above)
- Manufactured with durable and quality EPO foam, not EPS
- Complete screw-together assembly without the need for any glue
- Scale outline, including open vents between the fuselage and intakes, and downward angled wingtip rails never before seen in a foam F-18
- Completely concealed elevator servos and elevator control hardware for less drag and clean scale outline
- Full coverage plastic undercarriage doors
- Aluminum suspension undercarriage
- Trailing link struts
- Low visibility rudder servo placement
- Low visibility flap servo placement and geometry
- All-new plastic Fowler flap arm hinges to mimic those on the real F-18
- Removable plastic-tipped magnetic nose cone
- Removable wings with QD wing harness
- LED lighting on nose strut, chines, and dorsal
- Large battery bay for battery, MFCB, and gyro
- Sharp and shallow panel lines in sensible areas without reducing overall scale effect
- Pre-molded wing station to accept Freewing’s MWS plastic slot system (aftermarket pylons, ordnance, 3DP, Runcam, etc)
- Quick Service servo plates on the wings and vertical stabilizers (screws, not glue)
- Plastic lined coaming to resist bubbling under the canopy
- Plastic tipped nosecone, capped intake lips and wingtip rails with pre-installed MWS slot
- Plastic nozzles with two-tone metallic paint job
- Freewing F/A-18C Hornet "Base Gray" 90mm EDF Jet - PNP
- 9-Blade EDF power system (installed)
- 3748-1750kV outrunner brushless motor (installed)
- 130A ESC with EC5 connector (installed)
- Electronic retractable landing gear (installed)
- Servos, LED Lights (installed)
- 6 Channel radio - select a minimum 6 channel radio from our Radio Collection
- 6 Channel receiver - select a minimum 6 channel receiver from our Receiver Collection
- 6 Cell 22.2V 5000-6000 mAh LiPo battery with EC5 connector - we recommend the Admiral Pro 6000mAh 6S 22.2V 50C LiPo Battery with EC5 Connector
- 6 Cell compatible battery charger - select a minimum 6 cell (6S) charger from our Charger Collection
1 : 11 Scale
1034mm / 40.7in
2640g / 93.12oz (w/o battery)
CG (Center of Gravity)
88mm (3.4") from the leading edge of the wing at the root
6S 3748-1750kV Brushless Outrunner Motor
Electronic Speed Control
130A, EC5 Connector
Propeller / EDF
90mm 9-Blade EDF
9g metal gear digital standard with 500mm lead : nose gear steering
Electronic retractable main gear and steerable nose gear with all metal shock absorbing struts
6S 22.2V 5000-6000mAh LiPo with EC5 connector (required)
6 Channel (required)
|Outdoor, 150+ foot paved runway or short manicured grass|
Product Spare Parts
Product Questions & AnswersNOTE: Questions submitted on this page are answered by customers who have previously purchased this item. If you have a support related question that requires immediate assistance, please visit our Help Center.
- July 18, 2019 - For anyone with this model it is essential that you review the following Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) before flying. Even if you have flown the model we still ask that you review the document. Click here for the TSB.
If you need any additional assistance, please visit the Motion RC Help Center
Great looking plane, very few problems
Just a few minor problems with mine, one of the wires on one of the rudder servos was crimped and working only intermittently, but that was an easy fix. Be sure to check your control surfaces carefully, the pushrods were not necessarily set with the servos centered. Other than that the plane is super easy to build, I really liked all the screw together parts instead of glue. The directions are just awful, and what little there is often lists things in an order that makes them harder to accomplish. In addition, no ordinance was included, not even missiles for the wingtips. Of course I used Callie Graphics for the finish. I have a nephew who flies for the VMFA Cowboys out of Ft. Worth so my plane is done up as number 9 from that squadron and has his name on it. Any intermediate flyer should be able to handle it but it is NOT for beginners, either in flying or construction. It took off easy, and since I couldn't use my flaps since I hadn't noticed they were not coming down equally it did not want to slow down. I also used the power setup from my previous FW 18 version 2, so the sound was awesome.
Bought the gray version and dressed it up with Callie decals because the Blue Angles was out of stock. I loved it so much when the Blue Angles was back in stock I bought it also. Going to upgrade the Blue Angles to 8s . Freewing just keeps getting better with every new jet and Motion carries all the parts with great service.
Good aircraft. Assembly Issue.
Just got mine together. Had the same problem that one of the other reviewers had. My ESC was not plugged in to the motor. Very hard to plug the motor wires into the ESC wires. ( Like the other reviewer said a big PITA really) Not much room in there for my big hands I guess :) the wires from the motor are color coded: red, black, yellow. The wires from the ESC are one color, Blue. Contacted support, asked them how do I plug them in the correct order. They told me" just plug them all in, if the motor runs backwards, just reverse any two of the wires." Luckily I got it correct first try. I gave it a difficult to assemble rating because of this. Matt
F-18 grey version
Excellent flying model. Be careful on setting of neutral elevator. Compare if possible to another aircraft. Instructions are not that helpful. Check and double check elevator control throws. I used 40% expo on elevator snd ailerons. Great flyer!!
The quality, value and performance of the Freewing F/A-18C Hornet is excellent! I flew it three times stock and was pleased with its performance. For a speed perk I replaced the stock motor bearings with ceramic bearings. It was a quick and easy job. I have several videos on YouTube and more are on the way. I highly recommend this jet. https://youtu.be/fQWisMmil8Y
Another Engineering Marvel
FW/MRC have done it again. This F-18C is a beautiful bird, but it does have a few growing pains. I myself had some issues with my bird, but with the help of MRC, I’m going to maiden in 2 days. The fit and finish gets better with every new model, I con only imagine what the F-102/105 or A-7ll will look like when they finally (keeping my fingers crossed) are produced. After a successful maiden, I’ll put my Callie (Blue Blasters VFA 34 theme on). Thanks MRC/FW, you’ve done it yet again.
Very nice looking and flying plane. They hit a home run with this one. Had a couple of quality issues during the build (bad elevator servo and both nav lights quit working), but the plane flies great. Has lots of power and maneuvers well. Also wish the inside of the cockpit was painted rather than base grey, but not a deal breaker. Really appreciate the Freewing and Motion guys getting this plane out early and with the initial Blue Angels batch. Thanks!
FW F-18C Nice!
Another great great model from Freewing.