FlightLine RC P-38L Lightning "Pacific Silver" 1600mm (63") Wingspan - PNP
FlightLine RC P-38L Lightning "Pacific Silver" 1600mm (63") Wingspan - PNP - FLW3011P
The legendary P-38 “Lightning” revolutionized aviation history in World War II. Designed by a skilled team of engineers led by Clarence Johnson and Hal Hibbard, the P-38 was the only American fighter that was continually produced from before Pearl Harbor in 1941 to after the Japanese surrender in 1945. Over 9,900 P-38s were built, 3,810 of which were the superior P-38L variant. Revered by its foes as the “fork tailed devil”, the P-38 excelled as a fighter, interceptor, reconnaissance platform, long range escort, and as a ground attack aircraft. The aircraft also famously shot down Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto’s aircraft during “Operation Vengeance” on April 18, 1943.
FlightLine RC’s P-38 represents the pinnacle of engineering for a foam electric P-38. It is the largest mass-produced foam electric P-38 in the world, with a high level of quality and scale fidelity. We know our customers have been waiting for a large P-38 with good size, clean wiring, and scale lines. The wait is over, it’s here!
The Flightline P-38 was designed for easy operation. Its outer wings disassemble with four screws for convenient transportation and allowing the aircraft to sit on all three wheels without the outer wings attached. FlightLine RC’s P-38 Lightning features durable electronic retractable landing gear, five sequenced servo driven landing gear doors, day-bright LEDs, machine gun details, plastic nose cone and cowls, four flaps, accurate canopy and nacelle shape, and many other scale details. Each rudder is directly controlled by its own servo. The cockpit layout accommodates a wide range of 4S 14.8v Li-Po batteries with ample space for electronics. To ensure a high degree of structural rigidity, the entire model was designed around a special framework of carbon rods and reinforcement points. This framework strengthens the aircraft during high speed maneuvers, while still providing a gentle and forgiving flying behavior.
The stock PNP version is equipped with two 3748 brushless outrunner motors and two 12x7 3-blade counter-rotating propellers for the perfect scale appearance. With the recommended 4S 14.8v 5000mAh (one battery per side or a single battery with your series adapter), the P-38 boasts sufficient power for large consecutive loops and a level top speed of 81mph. An optional “Upgrade Kit” can be purchased separately to obtain a level top speed of 94mph; click the Upgrades tab above.
The “Pacific Silver” scheme includes four decal sets from the 431st Squadron led by Medal of Honor recipient Thomas McGuire. Choose which decal set you want to apply to make your P-38 unique among your friends! The decals are "peel and stick", made with a very thin adhesive vinyl which is easy to apply and does not require water.
Visit the Official FlightLine RC P-38 Discussion Thread on HobbySquawk.com for additional photos, videos, reviews, and customer Q&A.
- Scale profile, accurate wing diherdral, and precisely modeled overall aircraft proportions
- Removable outer wings for easy transport
- Scale three blade propeller achieves 81 mph and vertical climbing capability
- Four different decal sets included inside the box for you to choose from
- Day-bright LEDs
- Large cabin space for easy placement of the battery and radio equipment
- Improved spinner and propeller mounting design to enable better balance
- Durable Electric retractable landing gear with metal trunions and 4mm steel wire struts
- Sequenced plastic gear doors for realistic operation
- Tall foam rubber wheels for optimal handling on paved surfaces and short, evenly cut grass fields
- FlightLine RC P-38L Lightning "Pacific Silver" 1600mm (63") Wingspan - (PNP)
- Motor, ESC, servos and retracts pre-installed
- 6 Channel Radio - Select a minimum 6 channel radio from our Radio Collection
- 6 Channel Receiver - Select a minimum 6 channel receiver from our Receiver Collection
- Two 4 Cell 14.8V 2500mAh to 3000mAh LiPo batteries with XT60 Connector – We recommend 2 of the Admiral 4 Cell 14.8V 2500mAh Pro LiPo batteries
- OR One Admiral 4 Cell 14.8v 5000mAh battery with XT60 connector (NOTE: will require an EC5-to-two-XT60-connector adapter)
- 4 Cell Compatible Battery Charger - Select a minimum 4 cell (4S) charger from our Charger Collection
- An optional “High Power Upgrade Set” can be purchased separately to obtain speeds of 94mph+. The Upgrade Set includes two 3648 motors, two 12x8 2-blade counter-rotating propellers, and two 2-blade spinners. Click the Upgrades Tab above for more details.
1600mm / 63in
1168mm / 46in
Weight (w/o battery)
3150g / 111oz
|CG (Center of Gravity)||65-70mm from the leading edge of the wing at the root|
3748-600Kv Brushless Outrunner Motor (Stock scale power system)
Electronic Speed Control
60A Brushless with XT60 connector
Propeller / EDF
12x7 3 Blade Propeller / 12x8 2 Blade Propeller High Performance Version (optional)
9g standard with 300mm lead: nose gear door
|Landing Gear||Electric retracts with metal trunions|
Two 4 Cell 14.8v 2500mAh to 3000mAh batteries with XT60 connector, or One 4 Cell 14.8v 5000mAh battery with XT60 connector (will require an EC5-to-two-XT60-connector adapter)
6+ Channel 2.4GHz
Nylon and foam hinges
|Build Time||3-4 Hours|
|Recommended Environment||Outdoor, minimum 200 foot runway, pavement recommended, less than 1" tall smooth grass|
Product Spare Parts
Product Questions & AnswersNOTE: Questions submitted on this page are answered by customers who have previously purchased this item. If you have a support related question that requires immediate assistance, please visit our Help Center.
- Feb 6, 2017 - There has been some confusion in the forums regarding the twin ESC wiring setup for this model. Extensive testing has been done in direct partnership with the ESC manufacturer, culminating in hundreds of successful flights without the need for removing any of the power (red) wires from one of the ESCs BEC. Both ESCs Y-harnessed together are plugged into the receiver's single throttle channel without the need for ANY red wires being removed.
If you need any additional assistance, please visit the Motion RC Help Center
Great plane and great service
P38 Pacific version
I found the model easy to put together. The leads could have been a litlle longer as they cannot quite reach the cockpit area which required the special syncro box to be placed low down in the access area and could not be fixed into position which I believe it should be. The C/G position given appears to be too far forward as I managed to fly the model with it over 5mm further aft with no problem at all. I use two 3000mah batteries which gave a reasonable flight time of 6 mins. Overall I am very pleased with the model and would recommend it to anyone who is a good flier as it does come in to land fairly quick even with flaps full down and no wind. A 10-15 kph head wind makes the landings much slower and easier to handle. I may go for the sprung undercarriage at a later date as this might help with a bumpy landing and put less strain on the mountings. I would have given a very good to all the following question had more thought gone into the wiring. Flying is very good and does all the aerobatics I am capable of, even knife edge is possible with loads of opposite aileron held in.
FlightLine RC P-38L Lightning "Pacific Silver" 1600mm (63") Wingspan - PNP
Bought this with high expectations. They were met. My first dual motor plane so the reverse blades shocked me for a moment when I fired it up..it went backwards...****. Other than that it's easy to put together until you get to the decals...Holy mother of..whew. If you love putting them together and decal work you will be happy, I was but my back wasn't after 200 or so decals. I lost ALL of them off the props the minute I fired it up and the rest are not very sticky. Recommend a clear coat. I use auto vinyl clear. Kinda pricey but it has done great for years. Plane flight is awesome, tip stall is quick so power through corners, trust me there is plenty of power at will. Vertical is unlimited and as big as this bad boy is..it will get away quick..it's freakin fast like a jet when you get the gear up. Add the factory elevator up for flaps and it floats in like a dream on about 15% power it just glides to the ground. I did think the newest version came with shock springs on the retracts. It did not, so buy them now they work great.
This plane is beautiful, fit and finish is top shelf. Instructions were easy to follow, the only issue I had was my screws for the fuse were too short to crab. But I had some longer ones that fit. Power combo exceeded my expectations, this plane was fast on the two Admiral 3000ma batteries. I did change to a front strut and the bigger wheels tha Ryan suggested. Over all a great purchase.
Great Flying Warbird!!
I've been flying the P-38L for the past two years. Very stable in flight with no ill mannered tendencies. I set it per the instructions and very little trim was needed on the maiden flight. Lowering the gear and the flaps and no ballooning up. I also later added the spring loaded gear which really helps any firm landings. Love making low passes and strafing runs. Always gets a lot of attention on the flight line.
Excellent aircraft, best P-38 I have flown in a long time - handles well
Very cool plane
What a plane, easy to put together, flys smooth as silk, and the build is easy and straight forward. This plane is quite simply one of the best you can get, and it's a P38! Even in high wind I haven't had any problems with landings or track issues. I just simply love this plane, the new single plug wing connectors make transport a breeze as well. Well done flightline!